- An estimated 1-3% of the general population has bipolar disorder.
- Bipolar disorder affects males and females at equal rates.
- The peak age of onset of bipolar disorder is between the ages of 15 and 25.
- Emil Kraeplin found that the average period of feeling 'well' after a mood episode is:
- 4.3 years after the 1st episode
- 2.8 years after the 2nd episode
- 1.8 years after the 3rd episode
- 1.7 years after the 4th episode
- 1.5 years after the 5th episode
- Some professionals recommend considering 5 factors for a diagnosis of bipolar disorder:
- Age of onset
- Course of symptoms
- Family history
- Response to treatment
- Current signs and symptom
David Oliver is the nation's leading experts on helping and supporting a loved one with bipolar disorder. You can get learn about many of David's little known, yet effective strategies to cope and deal with your loved one's bipolar by clicking here right now. View all articles by David Oliver